Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Quilt: The Fuzzy Duckling

I have been busy working on this quilt since the beginning of this year.  Our library in Ionia was asking for quilters to donate quilts using blocks telling the story of "The Fuzzy Duckling". The pages from the book were transferred to cloth and this is what we started with.  Then we were left to our own imagination as to how we wanted to design the quilt.  Here is a picture of the finished quilt.


Of course Henry just had to get in the picture also! 

It fits the top of my queen size bed with just a little overhang on three sides.  They had over 50 quilts donated and next spring they are going to raffle them off to support their children's reading program.  They give a free book to a child every month and the money from the quilts supports this.  I created the quilt squares and then machine sewed them together.  I added embroidery stitches and hand quilted the layers together.


This is before I quilted and put it together.


This is the first page of the book.  All the pages in the book are bordered in bright yellow.


This square shows three of the different embroidery stitches I used.


This square was used throughout the quilt using a portion of the Dresden Plate template.  I think it reminds me of the tail feathers on the duck.  I also embroidered the edges using the blanket stitch.


Another square showing more embroidery.


Center row using embroidery chain stitch


Row around edges


Overhang at the foot of the bed

So I hope you forgive me for not posting for the year but have been very busy with this.  Next time I will show you pictures of my garden that I planted this summer.  That is a second reason why I have been so busy.  So add some comments and let me know what you think.  It was very very hard to give this up once I got this done especially since I just had a new granddaughter born on 100613.  Emma Rachel Turek, more about her later also.











2 comments:

  1. This looks like way too much work for me to handle -- LOL. You did a good job Kathy, and it sounds like a very worthwhile event for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I will try again. Love your quilt and u did a great job. Like Sandi said way more that I could have done. And I love to quilt. When Emma gets older she can tell you herself how much she loves it. TFS

    ReplyDelete