Thursday, December 24, 2009

Magnetic/Cork Board


Grandson Alex Smith's birthday gift
This is a late birthday gift for my grandson who turned 11 on Nov 14th.  I did not have the materials then but finally got around to doing it. It really did not take much time to make mostly it was finding the supplies (the galvenized tin and cork) then cutting out the metal and waiting for the crystal effects to dry was the hardest.  Basicly I got the idea from a class that my sister went to of Ronda Wade's but her's did not have the cork on it.  Ronda used chipboard for the backing but I had several sheets of artist canvas left from when I was oil painting and they worked just fine.  Then I cut my tin to size and glued it on with the crystal effects and weighted it done with heavy objects to let it dry.  After this I got to start the creating process. 

The cork that I found came in two thicknesses.  One was in a roll very thin.  The other which I purchased came in four sheets 12 X 12, 1/8" in depth.  I cut the cork to fit my board then doubled it and glued with crystal effects.  I was not sure if a single thickness would hold the pushpin tight enough that is why I doubled the cork. But as you can see from the picture I have the pins pushed all the way down. 

The stars are wood cutouts painted, paper added to front then inked around edge. A thin magnet sheet is glued to the back.  Alex's name is also wooden letters painted with acrylic paint then edged with ink and glued with crystal effects. I used the crop-a-dial to make the holes for the rope to hang.  Before adding the rope I glued down a jumbo antique brass eyelet in each hole to give it a more finished look.  If I would of had an extra large washer or bolt I think this would of looked nice also.  I need to make a trip to the hardware store and get some supplies for guy things, buttons only go so far.

I have lots of canvas left so plan on making some more to sell here around the apartment.  I have some smaller sheets 8 X 12 that I think would go great on the outside of our doors as a message board.  Thanks for looking let me know what you think.

SUPPLIES:
PAPER: DSP Prestwick, CS Garden Green
INK: Garden Green, Night of Navy
STAMPS: Terrific Tags
PUNCHES: Small Tag, Tag Punch
ACCESSORIES: 12 X 16 Art Canvas, 12 X 12 Cork Board, Crop-a-Dial, Sticky Strip, Crystal Effects, Wooden Letters, Jumbo Eyelets Antique Brass, Acrylic Paint: Lush Foliage Green & Copehagen Blue

3 comments:

  1. Kathleen, this is every bit as pretty as you described on the phone! It looks very masculine and great design for a boy. Now you just need a great "grandma" picture on your cork board! You probably did this (but didn't mention above), but a great way to save on the metal would be to cut your piece for only the size you needed for the actual magnet side. You could just paint your canvas first so you have the look of layers. You put a lot of love into your work. Have a wonderful Christmas Day and talk to you soon. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Kathleen! I want to make m son one of these in his skateboarding theme...I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well Kathleen,I finally got a chance to check out you blog. This is real nice, better than I imagined. I really like the addition of the cork. Christmas is finally going to be here in about 12 hrs. so I should get myself to bed!! TFS

    ReplyDelete